Tags: Health Management Information System Course, Health Management Information System Certificate, Health Management Information System Training.
Health Information Management (HIM): is the application of information management to health care system towards providing quality health care in hospitals and medical institutions.
The introduction of technology and widespread computerization in the health care system for record-keeping has replaced the traditional (paper-based) records with the use of Electronic Health Records (EHR) such as Medical Record Systems and Electronic Medical Systems or software.
Health Management Information System (HMIS): is simply the use of EHR - Electronic Health Records Systems or Softwares to manage patient records towards providing quality and personalized health care.
HMIS's standards history can be traced back to 1928 when the American Health Information Management Association was introduced. Also at the time, the American College of Surgeons established the - (ARLNA) Association of Record Librarians of North America to elevate the standards of clinical records in hospitals and other medical institutions.
There are six key components of the Health Information Management System. They include:
1. Health information system resources
3. Data sources
4. Data management
5. Information products and lastly,
6. Dissemination and use of the information.
These components can be broadly divided into three broad categories namely; inputs, outputs, and processes.
1. Inputs: These comprise all the physical and structural pre-requisites and resources needed to put up a good health information system. It mainly involves a legislative, regulatory and planning framework (rules and policies) as well as personnel (skills and capabilities), financing, logistic support (e.g. office supplies), IT and communication systems (e.g. computers). Every country’s HIMS needs to be designed to utilize the available resources in the best way possible to meet the country’s health needs.
2. Processes: These include data management, indicators, and data sources. Data management is aimed at enabling data to be collected to be stored, compiled, analyzed and processed easily. It allows easy access to relevant information to those who need it while maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of the stored information. There are two types of data management; minimum dataset and integrated data repository. A minimum dataset simplifies data collection and improves the quality of data collected. An integrated data repository combines data from various sources and helps in the collection, management, and distribution of the data. Indicators refer to measurable sets of data that help to monitor the system’s effectiveness by quantifying change that has taken place in a country’s health profile over time. These determinants should be valid, reliable, sensitive, specific and feasible. Data sources refer to both periodic and continual sources that provide quality information for the information system. A strong HIMS also requires data to be gathered from a variety of sources. In health systems this may include; patient’s medical records, service records, resource records and so forth.
3. Outputs: When considered together with input indicators, they can provide some measures of productivity or efficiency in health care delivery. Health output indicators provide information on the quantity of goods and services provided by health care systems.
1. HMIS helps to improve the functions and efficiency of the health sector.
2. HMIS is essential for easy communication of patient's information among health workers.
3. HMIS is essential for easy processing and follow up of patient's health information.
4. HMIS helps to prevent loss of health information through backups.
5. HMIS helps to capture adequate health information as needed by organizations.
6. HMIS helps to reduce the divulgence of patient's information to unauthorized persons through the use of passwords.
7. HMIS guarantees quick patients information retrieval as when needed.
8. HMIS - Health Management Information System is a unique course that studies the management of health information of a patient through EHR - Electronic Health Records to better understand the history and status of the patient in order to provide quality and personalized health care.
9. There are lots of EHR Softwares and Applications used in keeping Medical Records. They are grouped under these categories:
a. Open-Source software which is known as Free or Freemium Softwares which is free to use.
b. Privately Owned software which is known as Paid or Premium Softwares which requires some form of payment or charges to use them.
10. The Free and Basic EHR software that applies to the Health Management Information System is EMR - Electronic Medical Record and MRS - Medical Record System. They are designed to adequately manage patient records and reports and to evaluate it in order for Doctors and Health Workers to understand the health history and status of patients per time.
Becoming an HMIS manager enables you:
1. Protect Patients’ information and maintain high-quality information about peoples’ health status.
2. Enable Hospitals to receive appropriate funding in order to function and treat their patients adequately.
3. Increase Your Earning Potential.
4. Job Opportunities and Career Advancement.
5. Entrepreneurial Opportunities and Consultancy.
The Full course will take you on everything you need to know about HMIS - Health Management Information System from Introduction, History, Policies, Standards, etc. up to using the Basic Softwares required for keeping records and reports. You will be a competent HMIS Professional with Diploma Certificate to showcase your competence.
Duration: Study At Your Own Pace.
Health Management Information Systems - A Managerial Perspective
Health Management Information Systems - Executives
Health Management Information Systems - Online Health Information Seeking
Health Management Information Systems - Enterprise Software
Health Management Information Systems - Community Health Information Networks
Health Management Information Systems - Trending toward Patient-Centric Management Systems
Health Management Information Systems - Integration
Health Management Information Systems - Planning/Information Requirements
Health Management Information Systems - Analysis and Developmental Methodologies
Health Management Information Systems - Data Stewardship
Health Management Information Systems - Projects
Health Management Information Systems - Standards
Health Management Information Systems - Governance, Policy, and International Perspectives
Health Management Information Systems - Innovation
Health Management Information Systems - Open MRS Software Practice
Health Management Information Systems - Open EMR Software Practice
Health Management Information Systems - Exams and Certification
Login & Study At Your Pace
500+ Relevant Tech Courses
300,000+ Enrolled Students
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!
The Scholarship offer is a discount program to take our Course Programs and Certification valued at $70 USD for a reduced fee of $7 USD. - Offer Closes Soon!!
Copyrights © 2020. SIIT - Scholars International Institute of Technology is a subsidiary of Scholars Global Tech. All Rights Reserved.
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!