Information Technology Fundamentals – Using Software Application
Using Software Application
Application software is a computer programme with a specific educational, personal, or business function. It is also known as a productivity programme or an end-user programme. Each programme is intended to aid users with a certain goal relating to creativity, productivity, or communication. Application software packages have specialized capabilities and accomplish their intended tasks. The basic objective of all application software is to streamline a process and enable users to do their tasks easily.
Today, we have access to a wealth of sophisticated application software that defines how we live and adapts to our ever-changing needs. Office productivity suites, data management software, media players, and security tools are examples of widely utilized application software. Typical smartphone applications are another example.
Examples of Software Applications
Whether you are doing duties, taking notes, conducting online research, setting an alarm, maintaining an account log, or even playing games, there are certain application software applications that can assist you. Application software is designed to accomplish specific tasks, streamline workflows, and enhance team communication. The most prevalent examples of applications utilized daily by millions are provided below.
- Software for multimedia and music streaming, including MX Player, VLC Media Player, Spotify, Pandora, etc.
- A collection of Microsoft applications, including Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Software for graphics and design, such as Adobe Photoshop, CorelDraw, and AutoCAD
- Online real-time communication platforms such as Skype, Hangouts, Google Meet, Zoom, and WhatsApp
- Internet browsers like Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.
- Project management applications such as Asana, Zoho, Slack, and Forecast
The Functions of Application Software
Application software programmes are designed to perform a wide range of tasks. The functionalities can vary based on the needs of the users. Regardless of the industry or business domain, application software can be designed to fulfill a certain function. Here are few examples:
- Business project management
- Data analysis and management of information
- Document manager
- Project management
- Electronic mail, texting, audio and video conferencing
- Resource (ERP and CRM system) and personnel administration
- Accounting, payroll, and fiscal administration
- Healthcare management software
- LMS and eLearning applications
- Design of graphics, animations, and videos
Different Types of Software Application
As we live in an age of digitalization, all business sectors demand application software. Every industry, including banking, healthcare, education, retail, travel, and logistics, uses the programme extensively. Choosing the appropriate application software for your specific needs enhances functionality and productivity. Understanding the various forms of application software will help you save money, time, and resources, boost productivity, and enhance your ability to make sound decisions. Application software can be categorized generically as General Applications, Business Applications, and Custom-Developed Applications.