SEO - Verifying Web Site
The Need for a Website to be W3C Compliance
Using the right HTML syntax is very important when designing and developing a website, though most browsers may ignore the wrong syntax, that doesn’t make it right.
Why HTML/XHTML Verification is Required?
Here are a few reasons to properly verify your website before hosting it over the internet.
1. How well you have written your webpage, determines the webpage quality. It should pass all the Quality Gates and be syntactically correct.
2. When HTML tags are not well written during indexing of your web page content by search engines, the search engines might get confused and may lead to improper indexing.
3. Most HTML tags on your web page might be deprecated, and most of the search engines may no longer support them.
4. Good webmasters appreciate Consistency, HTML Code Beauty, Process Compliance.
What is W3C Compliance?
W3C is the World Wide Web Consortium and since 1994, the W3C has provided the guidelines by which, websites and webpages should be structured and created. Below are links to validate your web pages:
- Validate HTML/XHTML File against W3C Standard HTML/XHTML Validator.
- Validate CSS File against W3C Standard CSS Validator.
All the validations are to be done using XHTML DTD, which is a refined version of HTML, because while verification, you may get errors along with appropriate reasons.
Rules for W3C Compliance
While developing a webpage, make use of the following rules:
1. Use an XHTML declaration statements to begin XHTML pages:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
2. Every tag must be closed.
3. The head and body tags are mandatory.
4. Empty tags get a terminating slash. A self-enclosing tag is a tag that doesn't require an end tag. Examples include
<br> and <hr>.
<BR> is now <br />.
<HR> is now <hr />.
<IMG SRC="--"> is now <img src="--" />
5. All tags must be lower-case. This does not apply to attributes, only tags. The below formats are acceptable under the XHTML DTD:
<FONT color="#ffffcc"> is invalid
<font color="#ffffcc"> is valid
<font color="#FFFFCC"> is also valid
6. Put all the attribute values within double-quotes.
7. Tags may not be nested.
<b><i>Text</b></i> This is invalid
<b><i>Text</i></b> This is valid
8. The <pre> tag should not contain an image, object, big, small, sub, or sup.
9. One <form> tag cannot be inside another <form> tag.
10. If your code contains a &, it must be written as &
11. Use lower-case letters for your CSS