SEO - Web Site Domain"
Deciding On A Domain Name
The domain name is usually the first taught that comes to mind when you start thinking of doing business through the internet, but there decisions to make before choosing a domain name, they are:
1. Decide on who your target audience is
2. Decide on the value you’re giving or selling to this audience.
3. What makes your business idea unique and different from everything from already existing products.
Though it is important to have keywords in a domain, it usually can be done while keeping the domain name short, memorable, and hyphen free.
Using keywords in a domain name gives an edge over competitors, having this keyword in a domain name can increase click-through-rates on search engine listings and pay ads, which also makes it easier to use your keywords in getting keyword-rich descriptive inbound links.
Purchasing Domain Names
Avoid purchasing long and confusing domain names, such as those separated by dashes or hyphens. The domain name was a significant ranking factor in the past, but now search engine features are advanced and the domain name is no longer a significant factor.
Keep the domain name memorizable preferably two to three words, the name should also relate the product sold. Some notable websites go as far as creating their own words which is a good branding strategy, some of them are eBay, Yahoo!, Expedia, Slashdot, Fark, Wikipedia, Google, etc.
After all of the above, you should be able to answer the following questions:
1. Why do you intend to build a website?
2. Why should your site be patronized and not others?
3. What makes your site or your product unique?
4. Who is your target audience, and what value are you selling?
5. Go through several other amazing sites, and give reasons why you think they are amazing.
6. Discuss your intended domain name with others, create 5 different domain names. Test which is memorable, you can get honest feedback especially from persons who don’t know you.
7. Buy a catchy, and memorable domain name that is relevant to your business.