SEO - Optimized Metatags
Types Of Meta Tags
Below are the two most important meta tags:
1. Meta description tags
2. Meta Keyword Tags
Part of the search results of some search engines displays some meta description tags, but for the search results, the meta keywords tag should not be shown.
Though SEO experts think that metatags are dead, but many of these same experts continue to use metatags in their own sites, adding the description meta tag does not result in an improvement of Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) for search engines like Google.
Yahoo uses the keyword meta tag when it ranks a page, hence it makes sense to add a meta tag for Yahoo and other minor search engines.
This is usually added in the head section of your HTML document:
content="KEYWORD1 KEYWORD2 KEYPHRASE1 etc.
about 30 to 40 unique words">
content="An accurate, keyword-rich description
about 150 characters">
Meta Description Tag Tips
The important tips for good Meta description tags:
1. Use keywords in your meta description tag.
2. Try not to repeat the words overly often, but try to use multiple syntaxes of your keywords.
3. In the description metatag on a single webpage, there should not be more than one 150 characters.
4. A different meta description tag should be used for each page since each page is different and can be found if a good title and description are placed.
Meta Keywords Tag Tips
The previous chapter has some tips for identifying good keywords. The following can be used for preparing good meta keywords tags.
- Use synonyms
- Use unique keywords
- No need to repeat any given phrase
- You can repeat words, as long as it is part of a different phrase.
Robots Meta Tag
This enables one to tell a spider or a robot that you do not want some of your pages indexed, or that you do not want your links followed, and is an important tag. Below is an example of a robot meta tag:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow">